Friday, May 15, 2015

Wherever Here Is


Well, I made it! Another long drive and a lot of wind and even some rain, I'm officially now in Truth or Consequences.

Tomorrow I'll get situated: what's the light like on Elephant Butte in the morning? In the afternoon? What about the lake? Is there a view point that will look over the town? 

Already I found the local grocery, which is small but surprisingly well stocked with every type of Hoho-Dingdong-Cakey treat as well as a pretty decent selection of organic goods. It's very eclectic.

Up the hill is a Walmart. I have now shopped at Walmart. A first. Well, the FIRST was on Long Island to buy Fisher-Price rollerblades and an elbow and knee pad set for a photo shoot- but that was a work thing and so it doesn't really count, right? So, yes, I've now shopped at Walmart. 

There are 4 of us here at the Residency. All female, which surprised me for some reason.
One is from San Francisco and has been a professional painter for 30 years. Her work is very contemporary, Color Field paintings and some Political folk art. The other 2 are entering the Graduate program at Yale in the fall. 

This is my first Residency, so I'll be learning a lot. The Starry Night Residency program is a privately owned. I think this is going to be a good introduction to how this process and focus will work. It's exciting when something you have wanted... something you have tried to achieve.... for a very long time - comes to be. I'm proud. I'm a little nervous. I'm terribly excited.

Okey... Day 3: 320 miles. ARRIVED.
Tomorrow, reconnaissance.

No comments:

Post a Comment