Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Two-fer

Today was a two painting day. 

Started in the am with a short drive just a couple blocks away to a little park that overlooks the Rio Grande and across to Turtle mountain. It was early-ish, about 8:30 and there were some nice shadows on Turtle mountain that wouldn't appear again until about 7:45 tonight. Even though I did a pencil sketch before beginning, making dutiful notes of shadow placements etc... I ended up "chasing shadows" as painters sometimes say which is only to say ARGH! I got some and made up others... Very frustrating. Also, this piece was a slight departure from my usual and started to get juicy and painterly which was throwing me off a bit. I'll go in and soften the mountain in the distance, too many contrasts... Then it might just pull itself together.

Heading back to my row-casita, I looped around town searching for more Airstreams - found some really great ones that just might be on the agenda to paint tomorrow!

Later in the afternoon I braved the wind and painted over at Elephant Butte Lake. 
I had to bungee the pochade to a wood post and keep a hand on the turp jar which was swinging every which way!

This painting feels much more like me. It isn't finished but I'm liking where it's headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment