Friday, May 22, 2015

Returning to the Scene

Found this good spot overlooking Elephant Butte Island, higher up than where I painted here earlier this week. I arrived early and the water was so beautiful! Like glass...

A few people stopped by to see what I was up to. One man asked if my painting was pastels. I said no, this is oil paint. He said, "no the colors, I've seen them before, thems those Indian colors." Uhh?? 

I'm very pleased with how this painting turned out. I wish I had a small flat brush to get some crisp edges along the water line but I can get those touches in later back in my studio. 

After lunch I took a stroll on Broadway, one of two roads in town :)  Went in to an antique shop, a used book store and a gallery/boutique where a woman sells her jewelry, paintings and paper dress sculptures. The paintings are made out of nail polish. Never heard of that before.

I cruised through town looking at shadows on buildings, cars, trailers... Took a long time for me to settle into a decision. Ended up in an alley basically, with a view to a tiny airstream/argosy trailer. Still needs some tweaks but I'm happy with where it's headed!

About 25-30 feet away from me, the entire time I painted the trailer, which was 2 hrs, an older man in a Grateful Dead Tshirt was standing on the roof of a very large motor home, power washing the roof. 2 HOURS. OMG.

It's the long Holiday Weekend... Tomorrow the other artists in the residency and I are going to a Farmers/ Art Market. That undoubtably will be very very interesting.

1 comment: