Monday, May 18, 2015

The T or C

Determined to get an early start and to head directly to my pre-determined, got it all planned out, location; I got up, made breakfast and coffee to-go and was out the door by 7:45. Success!

Oh! But the light was so nice as I drove through my little temporary town of T or C, I stopped every block to snap photos. The eccentric gauge is high around here; brightly painted houses, trailers of every kind and shape, rickety fences and something you don't see everyday - a house decorated with hats! 

Okay, enough distraction! Well, almost enough... I'd finished my coffee touring up and down the tiny streets! So I stopped at Passion Pie for a refill. I'd heard the coffee was good but when I tried to stop by on Saturday they were closed. At 3. In fact, every shop on the main drag was closed. At 3. You can now imagine what Sunday was like.

Freshly coffee-d, I drove out to the Elephant Butte Dam and Hydropowerplant to paint at a location I'd scouted a few days ago. It's a perfect painting spot.
I sketched 3 canvas panels and painted one, the other 2 I'm saving to paint when I'm in the studio.

I enjoyed painting the Elephant Butte Island! Was just me out there but every now and then a few jet skiers would buzz past the island. I finished at 12:30 and good thing!! The wind! I was holding on to the pochade with one hand and putting items away with the other. Fierce.

It was pretty hot, 88 today, so I was glad to be done with a good painting and relaxing for a bit before.... What everyone wants to do on a hot day: soak in a natural hot spring that is 106* degrees!

I'd booked a private room at Riverbend Hot Springs a few days ago. It's outside, overlooking the Rio Grande. It was so relaxing and thankfully there was a nice breeze. Totally cute place! 

Keeping an eye on the weather, it's heating up and there are a few forecasts ahead for windy conditions. I'll just have to set out early and this time not succumb to cruising the streets of T or C.

No comments:

Post a Comment