Monday, May 25, 2015

Reflections

As it was Memorial Day I thought it was a good morning to visit the New Mexico Veterans Memorial which is just up the hill. If I'd thought more clearly about it I would have realized that there would be a lot of visitors as well as some kind of ceremony... which there was.

It's a great facility/park. There is a walking path with stations, each holds a large plaque type sign about a U.S. Involved war. Spanish, Civil, Revolution, WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam for example. Each plaque described the build up, key players or key initiatives, and treaty or resolution. It also displayed how many died and how any were wounded. I found it very moving. It's too easy to forget so much of our history. Fighting Mexico for California and Arizona. Fighting for independence from the British. Fighting ourselves, North and South. 

Families and veterans gathered at the park this morning, laying wreaths, remembering those lost, honoring those who have served. I'm so happy I was there today.

I drove down the hill into town and saw a really striking light pattern across an old church. The roof was corrugated metal and very reflective, it bounced up a stripe of light across the front of the building that was really unique, so I set up to paint.

Met some interesting locals who stopped by to see what I was doing, they were very sweet. But overall it was really quiet around town. 

Tonight I invited another resident to share some wine I brought from home; it was really nice to relax and talk art, careers, family, process, goals etc. with another artist. 

Topped off this day with a HOT soak! I got a 108* tub... And it was goooood!

So much to be grateful for, today I thought about it all. Kudos universe, I feel your love. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment