Thursday, May 14, 2015

Crossing Arizona

Still on my way to my destination. Today was a straight shot from Palm Desert on the 10 past Phoenix and into Tucson. Surprised to discover I have no cell service in Tucson! This does not bode well for the remote areas where I'll be painting in southern New Mexico!

I'd read about a gallery in Tucson that had within it a small Maynard Dixon Museum, so after checking into my hotel (very circa 1975) I set off, sans 4G and wifi, to find the Mark Sublette Medicine Man Gallery. What a find!!

Gallery is in a strip mall, a strange location for such fabulous art. I went there to see the Maynard Dixon work. What an unexpected delight to find: Gregory Kondos (I've been fortunate to have studied with him twice, he's a treasure); Ray Roberts, a spectacular Plein air painter; Dennis Ziemienski, who I took a class from in Undergraduate and is a phenomenal illustrator and painter; Francis Livingston!! One of America's top Illustrators had some breathtaking landscapes and western paintings; a few stunning paintings by Ed Mell and Mark Bowles; and lastly, a wonderful collection of pieces by Josh Elliott.

Sadly, no photos allowed :(

Across the street was a Chevron where I filled the tank for.... $1.69 a gallon OMG!!

Day 2 drive of 400 miles, and one day closer to my destination! 

Thank you to all the kudos and well wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment