Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beautifully lost on back roads

Went out to see some Ghost Towns this morning, a long winding road out to Winston and Chloride. Saw lots of old buildings from the Silver rush days and even saw a famous "hanging tree."

Not a whole lot to see but interesting history, pretty 'deliverance' out there so I didn't linger. 

I'd read that there was a town called Monticello that had some vineyards and a winery and looking at my map I saw I could go back the way I came OR continue on Hwy 52 which does become a dirt road and turn off on 142 to Monticello. Did that. Never found the turn off. Drove an hour on that dirt road and finally, FINALLY, came a junction that made me realize I was waaaaaay past the road I'd been looking for! No use turning back so I kept going! The topography was stunning and I saw a few herds of some kind of deer or antelope.

I saw these huge satellites, tons of them, I'd come to the VLA: Very Large Array. The dishes gather invisible light, radio waves, that come from space.
They are able to learn about star birth, Galaxy growth, black holes... and photograph them with radio waves! Amazing.

Finally came to a T and a paved road which led me to a sweet small artsy town called Magdalena. Pulled into a Bear Mountain gallery/cafe and met the owner who used to live in Oakland! She made me a latte and told me about an art exhibit that was coming down today that I should go see.

GREAT gallery space, beautiful luminous and organic oil paintings over vinyl. (Artist:Mery Godigna Collet) Such a find!

I was now way north up near Socorro. I visited a co-op gallery and had a LENGTHY chat with one of the artists, a sweet older woman and terrific pastel artist named Skeeter. How awesome is that name?!

Made it back to Truth or Consequences and settled into a painting spot I found the other day. Love this arched gate, very Santa Fe.

Wrapped up the mega day with a hot spring soak at Palomas. Ahhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment