Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Day in Escalante

What to do when it's raining and you're supposed to be painting... AND it's a Sunday in Escalante??? (Odds stacked against me)

Well, I went to their very nice Visitor's Center, looked at exhibits, checked the posted weather outlook (today bad, rest of week good) and nearly bought a book. Exciting! There went 35 minutes.

Next up, I drove down the road to the Petrified Forest State Park. There is a terrific hike, a loop so you can't get lost, and there are stunning views as well as the Petrified wood. They are beautiful! Lots of ochres and alizarins and various blues and greens. I wonder why all the different colors? The hike was steep in the beginning, very muddy too. It drizzled on and off but was warm. I also was mesmerized by the twisted gnarled juniper trees. Some looked dead, burned or diseased or just tired and old.... Not sure. But the pairing of the smooth,
colored petrified wood with the weathered wood from the junipers was breathtaking. I went a little OCD taking photos of wood/rocks I admit. They also have dinosaur tracks and fossils. A great in town adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment